Better Homes Ottawa – Loan Program
Ottawa homeowners are now eligible for zero-interest loans for home energy efficiency improvements
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The City of Ottawa is piloting a loan program for up to three years for home energy efficiency retrofits, to support local residents to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. Zero-interest loan rates are expected to be available for 1-2 years while resources are available.
The program offers zero-interest, 20-year loans of up to $125,000 (or 10 percent of the current value assessment of the home, whichever is less) to cover the cost of home energy improvements like thermal envelope upgrades (basement/attic/exterior wall insulation, window/door replacements), mechanical systems (thermostats and controllers, air/ground source heat pumps, solar hot water systems), renewable energy (solar photovoltaic systems), EV chargers (Level 2), and the addition of rental suites (up to a maximum of 30% of the value of the loan).
With zero-interest, 20-year loans that are tied to the property, not the individual, the Better Homes Ottawa – Loan Program makes it easier and more affordable for homeowners to pay for these home improvements over time.
Participation in the program is voluntary and homeowner initiated. Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Residential, detached, semi-detached, townhouse, residential multi-unit buildings of 3 stories or less, that fall under Part 9 of the Ontario Building Code
- The property must have a property tax account with the City of Ottawa.
- Property tax, utility bills and all other payment obligations to the City of Ottawa for the past five years must be in good standing. If it is not, the homeowner must submit a suitable credit check.
- The property must not be in either CHMC’s Mortgage Deferral Program or the City’s Tax Deferral Program.
- All registered owner(s) of the property must sign a consent form agreeing to participate in the Program.
- You will receive all necessary forms once you have contacted Homesol Building Solutions.